Life comes with ups as well as downs for all of us, and while we are usually good at processing the happiness and joys of life, we sometimes have trouble dealing with the downs. Talking with friends and family is helpful, and yet many differing opinions or expectations from those closest to us may lead to confusion and additional stress.
Our current society and culture seems to propagate the belief that we should be able to cope with everything, that we should be strong and do it on our own. And if we find we are unable then we simply look for the pill or quick fix to sort it out for us. Counselling offers the possibility of a more sustained sense of wellbeing.
When we choose exploration of self it opens us up vs. a shutting us down; we can start to identify the causes of current concerns, notice factors that perpetuate problems, and become aware of fears and beliefs that limit our emotional freedom. An understanding and working through of our difficulties, anxiousness, or moodiness enables a falling away of old patterns.
Counselling offers a safe and confidential space for you to voice your concerns and difficulties while being heard. A space in which you can reflect on what you might wish to change to live a more meaningful and fulfilled life. To set goals and practice healthier ways of being, as you feel supported to move beyond past patterns of limiting thoughts, perspectives and attitudes. A counsellor is supportive and non-judgemental, someone who strives to understand thoughts and feelings from your point of view.
People seek counselling for a wide variety of reasons:
- Relationship difficulties
- Stressful or distressing experiences which need to be shared in a safe environment. These may include relocation to a new city, separation or divorce, loss of a loved one, an accident, or even witnessing something traumatic that is difficult to recover from.
- A desire to change certain behaviours, like food cravings or addictions, excessive anger, overwhelming or uncontrollable thoughts, or certain social behaviours.
- Support through a serious illness.
- Experiencing low moods, anxious feelings or both.
- Feeling uncertain about a change in life path/career.
- Personal crisis, because life does not always flow in the way we want it to, and we may not have the resources to cope with unexpected events.
- Wanting to succeed and experiencing an inability to achieve goals.
- Counselling also serves as a guide for personal development, to expand awareness and grow into one’s full potential, and can be beneficial for anyone.
As your counsellor I listen, and help you connect to your inner resources, so you can cope with and overcome any challenges you are experiencing and live your life in a way that is most meaningful and satisfying to you.
“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.”
Are you living your best life? If not, what’s stopping you?
Get in touch with me for a consultation or to book a session: